Just for children on the autism spectrum or who have a social communication disorder, Great Circle’s specialized camps provide incredible opportunities for them to build skills, grow emotionally and socially, and challenge themselves to achieve their fullest potential. Our staff are specially trained to provide sensory, communication, and/or behavioral support in a safe, nurturing environment.
Day & Overnight Summer Camps
“Keeping It Cool” Skill Building Camp:
- July 8-12, 2019, 9 am-3 pm (optional aftercare until 4 pm)
- 330 N. Gore Ave., Great Circle Academy in Webster Groves
- Co-ed youth in grades 3-12
- Cost: $500 ($550 w/5-day aftercare option). Snack & lunch included.
There’s a new “cool” kid in town this summer – and it’s you! Work your brain and body through expressive arts, mindfulness and recreational activities, and small group fun – all with the intent of helping address behaviors, emotions and other challenges that may be affecting a successful home, school or social life. Activities focus on healthy brain development within a trauma-informed environment, and are tailored to fit the camper’s developmental stage. Campers must be able to function independently and successfully within a 5:1 ratio, verbally communicate their needs and be independent on all daily living skills.
Registration is limited to 10 campers. Click here for more information.
Overnight Adventure Camp:
- July 29-August 2, 2019
- Meramec Adventure Learning Ranch, in Steelville, MO
- Co-ed youth ages 7-18
- Cost: $890 (all-inclusive)
Get a break from day-to-day living while exploring the outdoors in an exciting, supportive and safe environment at Great Circle’s 1,200-acre ranch (12 miles south of Cuba, MO). This overnight camp helps build awareness, self-efficacy, outdoor knowledge and social skills through activities that include aquatics, boating, courses, horses, games and bonfires. All activities are tailored for each camper’s functional and development level. Campers enjoy a fully equipped lodge for dining, sleeping and indoor recreation.
Registration is limited to 36 campers. Click here for more information.
To learn more about Great Circle’s summer camps for children on the autism spectrum or any other Great Circle program or service, call toll-free 1-844-424-3577 (GCHELPS).
“Keeping It Cool” Day Camp
Campers who experience social and emotional challenges learn new coping skills and ways to express themselves. Specialized small and large group sessions focus on regulating challenging behaviors and provide coping mechanisms. Information is sent home daily with tips and tools for parents/caregivers to reinforce learning.
Each day incorporates elements of healthy brain development, with educational and therapeutic activities designed to fit a child’s developmental stage. Daily activities include expressive arts (i.e., drumming, dancing, visual art, singing, gardening), service projects, mindfulness activity (i.e., yoga, meditation), and structured outdoor/indoor recreation (i.e., kickball, basketball). Snack and lunch are included.
Activities are based on the “6 R’s” used to create a trauma-informed environment:
- Rhythmic – songs, dances, drums
- Respectful – connecting with each other through service, art, dance and music
- Repetitive – structured daily schedule for consistency and predictability
- Rewarding – failure-free environment that emphasizes individual successes
- Relevant – select times to choose preferred activities
- Relational – opportunity to form health relationships with peers and adults
- Great Circle Academy, 330 N. Gore, in Webster Groves
- Drop-off – 9 am. Dismissal – 3 pm.
- Cost: $ 500
- Optional – Aftercare, daily 3-4 pm, additional $50
- Payment – 50% at registration, remaining 50% by June 15, 2019
- Refunds – full if cancelled by May 1, 2019; 50% by June 1, 2019, no refund after June 1, 2019
- Registration closes when full (10-camper limit). Wait list will be kept.
- Application process –
- Online registration – click here to begin
- Great Circle Academy staff will meet with camper and parents to complete the enrollment process
- Camp packet will be mailed by May 1
Outdoor Adventure Camp
Outdoor Adventure Camp gives your child the opportunity to break away from the routine of school and home, and spend a week in a supportive, exciting, safe program amid 1,200 acres of some of Missouri’s most beautiful wilderness. Through activities, your child can discover new strengths, and build social, emotional and relationship skills. Parents also can enjoy time to relax, reenergize and rejuvenate knowing your child is being taken care of, having fun and experiencing the great outdoors.
Each day is a mix of routine and new outdoor adventures, all determined by the child’s developmental and functional level, and designed to help campers successfully meet new challenges and build their skills and confidence. Activities include: swimming, climbing, challenge courses, canoeing and other water adventures, horseback riding, hiking, bonfires, arts and crafts, swinging, fishing and indoor/outdoor games. Daily themes, competitions and special events are coordinated by specially trained staff.
Staff is fully trained to meet all campers’ needs, including providing all medications and special dietary needs. The lodge is the camp’s hub, and includes a fully equipped kitchen, dining facilities, beds and showers.
- Meramec Adventure Learning Ranch, 1203 Meramec Wilderness Road, Steelville, MO
- July 29, 10 am, to August 2, 3:30 pm
- Transportation – Most campers are brought to camp by parents. St. Louis-based campers have the option of being picked up/dropped off at Great Circle’s Webster Groves campus, 330 N. Gore, at no charge.
- Cost: $ 890 (Some scholarship/grant/voucher opportunities available)
- Payment – Deposit is due upon registration; remaining balance by July 14, 2019
- Refunds – Deposit is nonrefundable. Cancellations within 30 days of July 29, 2019 will forfeit entire tuition unless space is filled by another camper.
- Registration closes when full (36-camper limit). Wait list will be kept.
- Application process – click here to register